Welcome to the office of the Gaines Charter Township Clerk. The Clerk's Office oversees:
- All aspects of the Township Accounting System ~ including payroll and overseeing audits
- All Township Cemeteries
- All elements of every election
- Freedom of Information Act Coordination
Township Clerk/ Board Member
616-698-6640 Ext. 132
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
616-698-6640 Ext. 121
An election is the selection by vote of a person or persons from among candidates for a position, the act of choosing. It is more important than ever to get out and vote. Many people think that their single vote won't make a difference. There have been many elections - not just local - that have been decided by less than 100 votes. Here are some "By One Vote" facts:
- Texas was admitted to the Union in 1845 by a single vote
- Hitler won leadership of the German Nazi Party in 1923 by a single vote
- The US House of Representatives, in 1801, elected Thomas Jefferson as President of the United States, by a single vote
If you have recently become able to vote or have recently moved, please make sure your voter registration is up-to-date. You can find information on this web page on how to determine if/where you are registered and how to make sure that information is current.
As always, feel free to call my office or email me if you have any questions at all about voting or the process of obtaining an absentee ballot.
Gaines Township Clerk
REMEMBER Michigan's primary is August 7, 2018. The last day to register to vote in the August primary is July 9, 2018. Please contact the Clerk's office by then if you are not registered to vote. The polls will be open from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM on August 7th.
Voter Registration Information
You are eligible to vote if you are:
A citizen of the United States
At least 18 years old on or before the next election
A resident of Michigan
Registered 30 days prior to the next election
You are not required to re-register for each election unless you have moved or changed your name. If you have moved and need to re-register, you can call the Clerk's office at 616-698-7980.
You can register to vote at any:
Secretary of State Branch Office
County Clerk's Office
Gaines Charter Township Clerk's Office
Assistant Clerk for voter registration at specified government agencies
By mail (Important reminder if you register by mail - you must vote in person
for your first election)
You can verify your voter registration by: Calling the Clerk's Office at 616-698-7980 or by clicking on the link below for MVIC.
Michigan Voter Information Center (MVIC) has additional information such as:
How do I register to vote?
- Find your clerk
- Absentee ballots
- Work at the Polls
- Voting machine Instructions
- Local election calendar
- Map to your polling location
The MVIC has gone mobile ~ click here for details
The Michigan Voter Information Center has all of the information you need to:
- Determine if you are registered to vote
- Find your polling location
- Contact your local election official
- Learn to use your voting equipment
- Find answers to frequently asked questions
- See your sample ballot
And, as always, feel free to contact this office if you have any questions we can answer.
Click here to download a copy of the Voter Registration/Driver License/Change of Address Form.
Absentee Ballots are available to registered voters if:
- You are 60 years of age or older
- You expect to be absent from the community the entire time the polls are open on election day
- You are physically unable to attend the polls without assistance
- You cannot attend the polls because of religious beliefs
- You have been appointed a precinct inspector in a precinct other than where you reside
- You are confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial
Remember, if you registered by mail, you are not eligible for an absentee ballot for your first election.
- Michigan Voter Information Center (MVIC)
There are nine precincts in Gaines Charter Township. For your convenience we have listed the precincts and their locations by number:
- Precinct 1 ~ Gaines Charter Township Offices, 8555 Kalamazoo Avenue, SE
- Precinct 2 ~ Gaines Charter Township Offices, 8555 Kalamazoo Avenue, SE
- Precinct 3 ~ Gaines Branch Library ~ 421 68th Street, SE
- Precinct 4 ~ Heritage Baptist Church ~ 1570 60th Street, SE
- Precinct 5 ~ Heritage Baptist Church, 1570 60th Street, SE
- Precinct 6 ~ Hillside Community Church, 1440 68th Street, SE
- Precinct 7 ~ Providence Christian Reformed Church, 7730 Eastern Ave., SE
- Precinct 8 ~ Ada Bible Church, 2045 68th Street, SE
- Precinct 9 ~ Ada Bible Church, 2045 68th Street, SE
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
The Township Clerk's Office serves as Freedom of Information Act Coordinator for Gaines Charter Township. Click here for a FOIA Request. Policy and procedures are outlined in the documents below:
Gaines Charter Township
8555 Kalamazoo Ave., SE
Caledonia, MI 49316
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
616-698-6640 Ext. 130 or 616-698-7980
There are three (3) cemeteries within the boundaries of Gaines Charter Township. Currently, two (2) of the three (3) have lots available:
Blain Cemetery: 1270 - 68th Street
Dutton Cemetery: 7000 Hanna Lake SE
- South Gaines Cemetery: 1601 92nd St., SE
Transparency and Accountability
In September of 2014, Governor Rick Snyder signed into law Pubic Act 252. In order for municipalities to receive additional revenue sharing funds for the State, the act requires municipalities to create a "dashboard" where residents can find the following information:
- Financial Summary:
Most application forms and permits are in PDF Format and require the FREE Adobe® Acrobat® Reader available from the Adobe website.
Gaines Charter Township maintains this web-site to enhance public access to information. Content is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as certified, unless so stated.