I became your Gaines Charter Township Treasurer, in November 2008. After being elected, I set out to gain certification from the Michigan Municipal Treasurers' Association. I achieved that goal in April of 2011. This certification was earned after intensive training at the Treasurers Institute held at Central Michigan University. This institute is held for one full week each year. State certification is issued to treasurers serving in Michigan who complete three consecutive years of training. The training consists of detailed instruction in Public & Government Finance, Internal Controls, Political Science, State Laws and Regulations, Bankruptcies, Foreclosures, Ethics, Budgeting and Debt Management courses.
I am honored to have achieved this certification and to hold the title of, Michigan State Certified Treasurer. This training has allowed me to serve the residents of our Township better, and to help manage our Township more efficiently.
As Township Treasurer, I have certain statutory duties:
- Collect real and personal property taxes
- Keep an account of Township receipts (revenue) and expenditures
- Issue Township Checks
- Deposit Township revenues in approved depositories
- Invest Township funds in approved investment vehicles
- Collect delinquent personal property tax
- Assess jeopardy in collecting property tax
- Collect mobile home specific tax
- Appoint a deputy
- Post a surety bond
- Parks and Recreation Committee
- Dutton Fire Committee
- Township Board